Signed Hopi Polychrome Pottery Jar 12" x 6-3/8" Rachel Sahmie Nampeyo 1956-2022AK003
Signed Hopi Polychrome Pottery Jar 12" x 6-3/8" Rachel Sahmie Nampeyo (1956-2022)
Hopi Polychrome Jar with Native American Designs (circa 1980's), by artist Rachel Sahme Nampeyo (b. 1956) a member of the famous Nampeyo family. This wide jar is made of native clay. This may be an example of a classic polychrome Hopi-Tewa seed jar, but can't be sure.
This piece is part of a private collection that is being sold (watch for more pieces in the near future). The owner's father purchased many of his Hopi artwork pieces, over a forty year period, directly from the Native American artists/potters.
This beautiful pottery jar was handcrafted by Rachel Sahmie Nampeyo, a renowned Hopi potter from the Nampeyo family. The jar features intricate polychrome designs depicting various Hopi symbols and motifs. The colors used in the design are vibrant and eye-catching, adding to the aesthetic appeal of the piece. The jar measures 12 inches in diameter and 6-3/8 inches in height, making it a substantial piece for any collector of Native American art.
- Item: Hopi Pottery Jar
- Culture/Tribe: Hopi Pueblo
- Artist/Maker: Rachel Sahmie (1956-2022 ) was a fifth generation Hopi potter, who learned pottery-making directly from her mother, Priscilla Namingha Nampeyo, and her grandmother, Rachel Namingha Nampeyo. The pottery-making has been passed down this way in their family from their grandmother Nampeyo (1856-1942) for six generations. Rachel Sahmie Nampeyo, Hopi Pueblo, has been an active potter since around 1970. She has seven siblings, all of whom are potters or Katsina doll carvers. Her brothers and sisters are Nyla Sahmie, Jean Sahme, Bonnie Chapella, Randy Sahmie, Andrew Sahmie, Foster Sahmie and Finkle Sahmie.
- Signed: This piece is signed with an incised letter "R" (see pictures).
- Date/Circa: 1980s (the best we can determine)
- Approx. Size: 6-3/8" T x 12" W
- Approx. Weight: 5 lbs, 5 ozs
- Materials: Hand coiled clay
Sold as is. No warranty from the Seller. No Returns.
CONDITION NOTE: Used, but in overall very good vintage condition. This piece does not appear to have any chips, cracks, hairlines, crazing, or repairs that I can see or feel, except for some slight surface roughness on one of the birds (see closeup picture). Ultraviolet examination also did not reveal any cracks or repairs. Since these are vintage pieces of art, they do come with natural imperfections and discolorations that add to their character (zoom into photos to look for any imperfections), and there may be some signs of wear or age that are typical for an item of its age. Does not come with any original boxes, packaging, or any related paperwork. Will be packed carefully and insured for safe shipping. See detailed (zoom-able) pictures to know what you are purchasing.